Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Perks

Since it's the holidays, I wanted to share with you a few of the things that The DLF has been doing.

In one of our Monday morning meetings earlier this month, we were handed information on Artemis House which is a county-sponsored shelter for battered women in Fairfax, VA. We were assigned to a child/mother & we were given $100 to spend on gifts. They made it easy for us because we were given information on the child/mother that we were assigned to, i.e. their age, shoe size, clothing size & their wish lists. I was given a 3 year old boy with the first initial D. I was pretty excited because my nephew, JT, is 2 years old & I love shopping for him. Here's what I got D:

~ 3 shirts
~ 2 pairs of pants
~ Spiderman light up shoes (his info. said he loved Spiderman)
~ a winter coat
~ 1 Spiderman action figure
~ 1 Ironman action figure (this thing was huge)
~ Bolt, the movie

I had a lot of fun shopping & it's always more fun to spend someone elses money. :o) I really hope D was able to enjoy his Christmas & even though I wasn't able to see his face when he opened those presents, at least his Mom was able to.

At the time that we were given our $100, we were given $25 to buy for our office secret santa gift. Instead of buying gifts for everyone in our office, they came up with the idea of setting a limit & only buying 1 gift because there are 11 of us. Even if we were to buy small gifts for everyone, that adds up. The day that our secret santa exchange was scheduled, we also had a cookie bake off. The rules were that everyone in the office had to make their own cookie/bar. Each person would bring theirs in without labeling it & then everyone would vote for their favorite, anonymously. Unfortunately, I was not able to participate in the secret santa/cookie exchange this year but my co-workers saved me one of each cookie & I later brought in my secret santa gift. I had actually wanted to keep my secret santa gift because it was so cute. I had bought a white & glittery silver tablecloth with snowflakes on it, a white bowl with silver edging with snowflakes & 2 bunches of white & silver snowflake ornaments. Yes, it was themed. Maybe next year I'll learn to buy something that I won't want to keep for myself.

The gifts that I got from DLF were a $100 gift card to Elizabeth Arden Spa, a bottle of wine & a nice Christmas bonus. :o) When I had opened my Elizabeth Arden Spa gift card, Sandra Lue said, "now we get to pick a day, go to happy hour & then get a massage!" :o) I love her.

We still have one more event to look forward to & that is our end of the year dinner. Apparently in years past, The DLF has rented a limo that takes all of us out to a fancy restaurant for dinner. Ours is scheduled for this Thursday at 5:00 p.m. Everyone is pretty excited because our office is closed this Friday so we get a fancy dinner & a long weekend. :o)

More details will follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails