Tuesday, February 1, 2011

To Lucas, With Love

At work last Monday, during our morning meeting, we all found out that Peter (one of the attorney's in our office) & his dog, Lucas, were attacked by a Pit Bull mix while they were taking a walk on Friday night. Apparently the Pit Bull was playing ball with his owner in the tennis courts & one of the gates was left open, so when he saw Lucas walk by he sprinted over to him. After a few sniffs, Lucas started to turn & walk back towards Peter & the Pit Bull lunged & bit Lucas around the neck, shaking him violently & refusing to let go. Poor Lucas was yelping & lying on the cement while Peter was trying everything to get the Pit Bull off of him. There are several other horrible details but I'm not going to share those with you; my stomach was in knots while Peter was telling us exactly what happened & I really don't want to get that sick feeling again. Lucas was taken to the vet & treated for his injuries. I just felt terrible for him because he is one of the sweetest dogs.
On my way home from work last Monday night, I decided to make Lucas a little get well present, so I stopped at Target & bought a container that could be used for treats. When I got home, Lexi & I went to work on baking some homemade doggie treats. I got the recipe from my Mom who made them for Lexi while we were up in PA for Christmas; she gave me several to take home & Lexi loves them. Here is what they looked like on the cookie sheet: I made circles & stars this time.
While the treats were baking in the oven, Lexi was firmly planted in front of the stove & following me back & forth hoping I would drop a few pieces on the ground that she could eat. After the baking was said & done, I ended up feeding her like 5 treats. She was just too cute, I couldn't say no.
As the treats baked, I decorated the container with stickers & here are pictures of each side: The front of the container - "L.U.C.A.S"
"RUFF"
"Treats"
"Good Boy"
The finished product. :o)
After I filled Lexi's treat container & Lucas', I had several treats left so I put 3 to 4 pieces in separate gift baggies & took them to work for all of my co-workers dogs. They were very excited & some even said, "tell Lexi thank you for sharing her treats." :o) Peter was also very appreciative for Lucas' gift & even commented, "this is the coolest thing I've ever seen, it even has his name on it!"
Since the treats were such a big hit with the puppies, I've been asked to share the recipe:

Puppy Poppers
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 tbsp. baking powder
1 cup flour
*I doubled this recipe & was planning on freezing a bag until I decided to share them. They freeze well & defrost in about 5 mins.

Bake at 400 degrees on an ungreased cookie sheet for 6 mins., turn over & bake otherside for 6 mins.
*My oven cooked these pretty fast so I only had to bake them for 4 mins. on each side, you might want to play around with it.

To Mamba, Tessa, Lola, Cuddles, Mona, Clyde, Princess, Mason, Otto & Ellie - I'm glad you all enjoyed your homemade treats & we promise to share the next batch with you all. :o)

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails