Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Battle Begins: Body vs. Mind

Last week Sandra Lue & I started exercising after work. On Tuesday & Wednesday we ran the stairs in our building with our work clothes & flip flops on. Yes, we weren't so smart & we were told several times by other co-workers that we needed to wear tennis shoes. We ended up doing 2 sets of stairs, up & down. We counted the steps which were 166 on one trip up. Needless to say, I was breathing heavy & completely out of shape because this was the first exercise that I have done since I had pleurisy. I was nervous how my lungs would take it but I was surprisingly alright; no pain & no trouble breathing besides the out of shape feeling. On Thursday, we decided to kick things up a notch & run 3 stairs...so much harder. We made it but my calves have never hurt so bad. I was sore for several days. On Friday, since the weather was so nice, we decided to go for a run outside (this time we brought running clothes & tennis shoes). We started off at a good pace & ended up running up to Fairfax Corner. We decided to keep going & continue speed walking & some running inbetween. After we got back to the office, Sandra Lue tracked our run/walk with her car & texted me to say that we ran 1 mile & totaled 3.6 miles all together. Holy cow! I didn't realize we went that far. I guess its true what they say, "working out with a buddy is much more fun." The time went by so much faster & we kept each other moving & by moving, I mean literally pushing each other at times. :o) We had several of our co-workers drive past us while we were working out & the worst part was that they all saw us while we were walking, not running. S was the one that pointed this out & we laughed so hard.
During the time that we were running, I shared my "running rules" with S that I have learned over the years: (1) Never stop on a hill! You can slow your pace but don't stop; it takes more energy to stop & start up again than it does to keep moving at a slower speed (this tip I learned from Sarie). (2) Try to run where there's traffic & people; there is a greater chance of someone you know seeing you running & if by chance you give up & walk, they will probably mention it the next day which will give you more incentive to keep moving during your next run (Dad taught me this). (3) Use down hills to your advantage. They can allow you to catch your breath, stretch out muscles that may be getting sore or tired & to increase your speed as well as shorten your run time (Sarie). (4) If you can carry on a conversation with someone while running & keeping your pace, you're in great shape (my Dad heard this from someone). Hopefully these running tips help you like they help me; they're in the back of my mind the entire time I'm on a run. :o)
Now you're probably wondering why all of a sudden S & I started working out. Well...Sandra Lue & her fiance, Santiago (remember them): are getting married at Riviera Maya, Mexico in May 2011 & she purchased her wedding dress a few weeks ago! She told me she wants to get in wedding shape so her dress fits like a glove. I decided to hop on the banwagon & get myself in shape as well. We're planning on continuing this exercise routine until we reach our goal weight/size. We've even talked about driving over to Burke Lake Park after work to get a run in. I've never been so I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails