Sunday, July 10, 2011

Our Granny Bernie

We've lost someone very near & dear to our hearts, Dan's grandmother, Bernie Kleinschmidt aka Granny Bernie. Her funeral service was held last Saturday, July 2nd in Springfield, VA. As I was writing this post, I decided to Google Granny Bernie to see what information would come up. She loved being active & was a participant in the Senior Olympics for as long as I have known her. During the funeral service, family members commented that she was "always in training." After the results I found online, I can see why - she was extremely talented & won several medals. Here are some of the Senior Olympic results that I found:

2007: "The Virginia Silver Stars of Falls Church won the silver medal for competing in the 80+ age group at the National Senior Games held in Louisville, KY: From left: Coach Hess M., Ginny F., Bernie K., Mary B., Josephine S. and Coach Patricia M. (Photo: Courtesy Elizabeth Martin)"

2008: At 82, in the archery recurve competition in Virginia Beach, she placed first.
"In the discus, during the first day of the 2008 Northern Virginia Senior Olympics held in Arlington, Kleinschmidt set a senior record with a throw of 27-feet and 2-inches." I have some great memories of Granny Bernie & I'm glad that I am able to share those with my family & Dan & I's future family. She was a soft spoken woman, but she loved to chat about sports, nature, her family, the weather, her flowers & jewelry. She would laugh at Lexi when she would start her zoomies or when she would run up & lick her hand - she would say, "oh my goodness she's so cute & tiny."
I remember at Thanksgiving, a few years back, when we were all staying in WV at Dan's parents' house & one afternoon she asked me if I wanted to see her collection of clip-on earrings that she had brought with her. She remembered where she had got each pair & who had bought them for her.
During one of our weekend trips to WV, we had picked up Granny Bernie & Dan had the radio on which was playing rap music. I commented that he should turn the station because Granny Bernie probably didn't want to listen to that kind of music & Granny Bernie said, "oh, no it's fine...I like rap music. This is that 50 cent, right?" Yes, it was 50 cent.
She was a great pool player & I remember Dan saying several times that his goal for the weekend was to beat Granny Bernie at pool. Afterwards Granny Bernie came up to me & whispered in my ear, "I beat him" & we gave each other a high five.
She always noticed what kind of eyeshadow I wore & would comment how much she liked it.

We miss you & we shall wait for the day when we can see you again.

"Those we love don't go away, they walk beside us every day, unseen, unheard, but always near, still loved, still missed, and very dear."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails