Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Vacation: Day 1

Dan & I's vacation this summer was a little more laid back then prior years. The plans that we had really didn't work out (life is like that sometimes) so we just rolled with it & decided to spend our vacation at home. It was nice to have time off, relax & spend some quality time together. So our first day went as follows:

We took a trip to the National Zoo. =] I have always wanted to go, but finding the time was a little more difficult. We left for D.C. early in the morning on Monday, July 25th, & prepared ourselves for some extremely hot & humid weather. Little did I know, I was nowhere near prepared. Once we got into the zoo & applied our sunblock, I instantly started sweating (sigh). I thought I was dressed for the warm weather wearing a strapless, loose fitting top with jean shorts & flats but it wasn't good enough. Sweat was dripping down my face & into my eyes causing a very uncomfortable burning sensation due to the sunblock that I had applied earlier - "gentle on eyes" my ass Banana Boat! My makeup, that I probably should not have put on, was just melting off of me; I had to borrow Dan's undershirt just to wipe the sweat out of my eyes - obviously he was annoyed by this. I also had the attractive, spotted sweat marks showing through my top in my lower back & stomach areas; Dan even stared at me at one point & said, "are you having hot flashes?" Once I came to the realization that my sweating was only going to get worse, I was able to suck it up & enjoy the day. Here are the pictures we took of the animals & of course ourselves: Gazelle - where's Waldo?
This Cheetah was rolling around & scratching his back before I took this picture - oh I just wanna kiss his sweet face.
Dan sporting my girlie pink Nike bag - Lord knows I wouldn't have been able to carry it, it probably would've slipped right off my back due to my excessive sweating. :o/
Ducks!
I love this one - LOL!
This was one of Dan's favorites - it never moved.
White faced duck - these were weird; you would only see their faces & not their bodies.
As you can see I am extremely excited to be in the air conditioning. =]
Dan said this guy liked me because when I talked to him he followed us around the fence.
We stayed at the flamingos for a while - we couldn't believe how they were sleeping (look in the upper left hand corner - no idea they did that).
The elephant was so cool.
Well hello there!
The monkeys kind of freaked me out...



Oh so cute.
He was looking at Dan.
Waiting out the rain...he rarely takes a serious picture.
Gorillas.


This is what I saw staring at me when I turned a corner - yes, I screamed.
Dear Lord.
Dan & I kept hearing a squeak noise & we finally realized it was this little guy, a prairie dog - he sounded just like one of Lexi's toys.
I told you.

The tiger seemed to have some anxiety problems...he would take a few steps & turn around, back & forth - he was pretty though.
Lions.
We had a great time & we've already talked about going back; hopefully the next time we go it'll be some time in the fall when it's not so damn hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails