Sunday, February 19, 2012

Half Marathon Training

Dan & I's half marathon is now 4 weeks away, so I thought I would give you all an update on how it's going. I'm averaging about 20 miles per week & increasing. Dan can already run 13 miles, but he's been working on his time - hoping to narrow it down & be able to finish strong. I've crossed over into the competetive training where I get mad at myself if my time or pace is less than what I usually do. I understand that everyone has good runs & bad runs, but I still get disappointed in myself. I've come to enjoy my long runs & don't actually get comfortable & "in my zone" until after the 2 to 2.5 mile marker. Once I reach that point I say to myself, "alright - lets go!" I've come to hate the treadmill & find myself running outside even when it's freezing, snowing or sometimes even misting. I would rather face the bad weather then have to run 4 to 5 miles on a treadmill at the gym while staring only at the TV.

Some things that I've noticed during this training process:

1. I've started to get chaffing on a regular basis under my armpits & have to treat it with ointment after my runs;
2. I spit & farmer blow my nose on a regular basis during my runs (so attractive);
3. I have to cut out my ingrown toenails weekly;
4. I've grown to love my high cut running shorts & I never thought I would; and
5. I've crossed over to dreaming at night about running & mapping out my runs in my head during my commute in to work.

I was reading my Runner's magazine this weekend & found a website that sells chrome emblems for vehicles. I always see stickers on cars that say "26.2" or "13.1." I've already picked our the one that I want to buy for Phoebe: By Elektroplate. It's the little things that make me happy. =]

Last week Dan & I booked our hotel room for the race & we decided that we would stay Saturday night & Sunday night so we could enjoy ourselves a bit instead of trying to rush on home. My sweet sister-in-law, Kelly, is going to take care of Lexi while we're gone.

I'm getting excited for race day & the fact that I'm getting to participate & complete this half marathon with my best friend is just another wonderful highlight. We're on our way out the door right now to run an 8 miler. Happy running!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails