Wednesday, February 22, 2012

"Run Your Heart Out"

On February 12th, Dan & I ran in the "Run Your Heart Out" 5k Race in Reston, VA with 2 of our friends; all of the proceeds went to benefit heart disease. We were excited on the days leading up to the race, but on actual race day it was miserable. When we left our house, it was 18 degrees outside & the wind was absolutely freezing; it was one of those winds that if you didn't have a scarf, hat or anything somewhat covering your face it actually hurt when it hit you. When we rolled up to the race destination, the temp had only increased 2 degrees. The trail that they had mapped out was slightly covered in snow & they were reminding us every few minutes to be extremely careful of ice patches. Doesn't this sound fun?!?!

After the race started, I did get a tiny bit warmer but my toes were completely frozen & I had no feeling in them. Dan actually ran without gloves because he couldn't find his - I still don't know how he did that.

On the straight stretch just before the finish line, there were photographers snapping action shots. Here are Dan & I's: The guy just in front of Dan is absolutely hilarious with that face.
In my sprint mode.

Dan & I's stats were as follows:
Dan: 7:40 (average pace); 24:10 (completed time)
Me: 8:46 (average pace; 27:14 (completed time)

We were thinking that had the conditions been better & we didn't have to worry about ice patches, our times may have been better - you just never know. I was pretty happy with my time though. For running in the race, we each got a nice Nike DriFit, long sleeve, workout shirt; I wore mine the week after during one of my runs. =]

Once the race was over we ran back to our car & drove to get some breakfast. I was so excited to get home & take a hot shower; Dan & I did absolutely nothing for the rest of the day & it was wonderful.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails