Saturday, July 24, 2010

Dream Car - No Longer A Dream

At work on Friday, I ran into a woman in our parking garage that was driving a VW Beetle convertible & I commented to her that I loved her car. We chatted for a few minutes about it & she was nice enough to let me sit in it & take a peek. After that, I couldn't stop thinking about the car & even commented to my co-worker, Sandra, that I really, really wanted one. I told myself not to mention any to Dan because he would think I was crazy by even thinking about buying a new car; so I planned on not saying a word. That didn't happen. As we were eating dinner I told him about the woman & he said, "well why don't we go test drive one & see if you like it?" I almost had a heart attack. After a few moments of being in shock, we decided to search the web, i.e. Carmax & the local VW dealership that was a mile down from our house. Of course I found one that I thought I just had to have which was a 2007, Harvest Moon Beige, Beetle convertible. There were 14,000 miles on it & was previously owned by an older woman in Florida. So we made our way over there to test drive it. Now I have always loved the VW Beetle; I remember loving them as far back as middle school. When my Mom & Dad were planning on buying me a new car for my 21st birthday, I had been begging for a Beetle. After I got back from Myrtle Beach with my BFF, Erin, my parents surprised me with a 2002 Dodge Neon SXT. As I was hugging my Dad & thanking him for the surprise, he had whispered in my ear, "I'm sorry its not a Beetle." Honestly, that had never even crossed my mind. I loved the car that they picked out for me & I'm so thankful to have them as my parents.
So to get back on track...Dan & I went into the dealership to discuss financing options, etc. The entire time I was sitting in the chair, all I could think about was, "how am I going to fit a carseat in this thing?"; "is this really practical for our lives right now?"; "I can't believe I'm actually buying this car." I had a huge waive of anxiety come over me & I had to pull Dan aside to tell him what I was thinking. His response was, "babe, you've wanted this car since I met you; what's wrong with getting what you want & being happy?" As you have probably read in our "About Us" section in our blog, I am the worrier/stresser of our little family & Dan is the go with the flow/easy personality. He looks at something & thinks, "if this is going to make you happy, lets do it or find some way to do it." My thinking is, "oh my god, this car will probably suck at driving in the snow." After several texts to my Dad & a call to my Mom, Dan helped me realize that this is only a car & if in a few years we need to trade it in for something more practical, like a minivan (yeah right!), then we will; its not that big of a deal & that I should just enjoy it. I decided to seize the day & go for it & honestly after I did that my anxiety went away & excitement took its place. I love my new car & I am so glad we decided to go for it. Now, without further ado, here are the photos you've been waiting for:



I'll be sure to take some photos of Dan & I with the car as soon as it gets cool enough to stand outside without sweating to death. As you have probably read in previous posts, our family names our vehicles & as I was taking a shower this afternoon I came up with the name: Phoebe. It looks like a Phoebe, don't you think? And now to end this post I'm going to repeat the words of our car salesman, Charles, "happy cruisin'." :o)

1 comment:

Related Posts with Thumbnails