Sunday, March 14, 2010

Stress/Relaxation/Friends/Stress - In That Order

A few weeks ago my friend Nikki & I decided to get together the weekend of the 12th. During the week we decided to have a spa day & found a spa in DC that looked promising called the Capital City Club & Spa. Since Nik lives in Maryland we tried to come up with a place that we could meet roughly half way between our homes. I was excited to have a spa day & get a massage, I hadn't had one for at least a year & of course I was excited to see Nikki. :o)
After I got ready I left the house around 1:15 p.m. because the mapquest directions that I printed out said it would take me 45 minutes to get there so I wanted to plan enough time in case I got lost which is always inevitable when I'm driving. Nikki & I's appointments were at 2:30 p.m. I ended up getting lost trying to find The Capital Hilton Hotel & didn't arrive at the spa until 2:32 p.m.; I was suppose to arrive 15 minutes before my appointment. :o( Nikki had already been taken back for her appointment so after I got changed into my robe, I went in to get my aromatherapy massage. I was able to choose from 3 scents: (1) orange citrus, (2) lavender or (3) honey; I chose the orange citrus which smelled amazing & after a 60 minute rub down I was completely relaxed & sleepy. I finally got to see Nikki when I went back to the locker room & we decided to go into the steam room for a bit. I have never gone into a steam room before but Dan swears by them & is always going into the one at the gym when he's finished working out, so I thought this can't be that bad. Nik & I went in with our robes on & soaked up the eucalyptus smell but after a minute I was ready to get out. I don't enjoy sweating my butt off except when I'm working out & I had curled my hair earlier & put on make up so I knew that was a waste of time after stepping into the steam room. I held on for another couple minutes because I could tell that Nikki was enjoying it; I finally spoke up & told Nik that I had to get out because I couldn't stand all this sweating. She laughed & agreed, thank God. We decided to get dressed & find a restaurant/cafe nearby to get an appetizer & sit & chat for a bit. When we stepped outside it was pouring down rain & we were told that a restaurant was about 2 blocks down so we started walking. After arriving at the restaurant & realizing that it didn't open until 5:30 p.m. we kept walking to find another one. Every restaurant that we came to after that was closed; apparently restaurants/cafes in DC close at 4:00 p.m. on the weekends; what the hell?! By this time my feet were wet & Nikki was completely soaked; I did have an umbrella but Nikki has that model height working for her so trying to compensate for her height & my shortness with a small umbrella just was not working. Poor thing. I felt terrible. We finally found a bar that was open & went in to dry off. We ordered a flatbread pizza with roast beef & salami (very weird combo but we were so hungry that it actually tasted kinda good). After a while of chatting & catching up, we decided to walk back to our cars & head home. We said our goodbyes & I walked back to the parking garage to get my car. After that the day just got worse. I got completely turned around when trying to get home & I had no idea where I was. After going down the wrong streets & turning around about 100 times I called Dan & had a melt down; tears started running down my face & I had been driving around Thomas Circle for about 15 minutes because I had no idea which road to take; I was in hell. Circle hell. After Dan tried calming me down, he got on his computer to try & figure out where I was & try to get me back home. If it wasn't for him I would still be in D.C. driving in circles & sleeping in my car. A trip home that should have taken me 45 minutes took me 2 hours. I will never drive into D.C. again & I told Dan that the next time I try & make plans to go into D.C. he needs to remind me of that day & how miserable I was.
I was so happy that I was able to see Nikki & have some girl time but I am so glad that day is over too; I have never been so stressed & worried. Thanks for sharing the highlights of Saturday with me Nik, it was great to catch up. Love ya! :o)

2 comments:

  1. That's so awful being lost in D.C.!!! I can't believe you didn't tell us this story when you came over on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was so traumatic I didn't want to relive it again. :o(

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails