Friday, February 26, 2010

Am I The Only Gullible One?

On New Year's Eve while Dan & I were in PA, we were at a party with some college friends & the song In The Air Tonight by Phil Collins came on the radio & I had made the comment that I loved the song; our friend Jesse asked me if I knew the story behind the song & I said no. He then went on to tell me that the song was written because when Collins was a little boy he witnessed a man stand by & let his friend drown in a pond. The man apparently did not try to save the boy & just stood there & watched him die. My immediate response was why didn't Collins try to save his friend & Jesse said because he was too young. Collins later wrote In The Air Tonight & flew the man out to one of his concerts, sat him in the front row & sang the song to him face to face while a spot light was on him the entire time. By this time in the story my mouth was open in astonishment & since then every time I have heard the song it had a totally different meaning for me.
Well the other day I came across an article online about what the song really means. Apparently there are several myths floating around about it. The Straight Dope says "the truth, according to Collins, is that "In the Air Tonight"--like most of the songs on his "Face Value" album--deals with his bitterness and frustration over the end of his marriage to his first wife, Andrea. So the mythical event you refer to is nothing more than another case of song lyrics being interpreted too literally." I have to say I was a little bummed to hear the story wasn't true because what a great way to let the guy know that you know exactly what he did. I hope I'm not the only one that believed this story because I have a tendency to be more gullible than the average person; Dan is very aware of this. I still absolutely love this song & it will always be one of my favorites.

I have said this before but one of my favorite renditions of In The Air Tonight was sung by Daughtry at his concert last year in Fairfax that Dan & I went to. It was amazing & definitely the highlight of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails