Monday, February 15, 2010

A Day With My Sweetie

I hope everyone had a wonderful Valentine's Day; Dan & I definitely did & we enjoyed spending the day together & trying something new. Here is a recap of our day:
Dan had lessons from 9:00 - 11:30 & then of course he had to go over to the gym to get his workout in. So that left me time to get a few things done around the house, i.e. wrap his presents. :o) Earlier in the week I had went to Target to look at their collection of Valentine's Day cards & this year I was very disappointed by their selection. I usually find very cute cards there & this year I didn't find any that I liked; so instead of buying one I made my own. I am not going to post any photos because that is just personal but it was a big hit with Dan. I also wrote a book inside so he was very pleased. I ended up getting Dan 2 pairs of dress pants because most of the work pants that he has are way too big since he lost all that weight so he definitely needed them. Dan got me a very sweet card that made my eyes water, a HUGE tin of assorted chocolates (the biggest one I have ever seen), the Bridget Jones' Diary DVD & a Jessica Simpson charm bracelet. :o) A few months ago I had found a shop in Ashburn online that lets you paint ceramics & then take them home. It is called Color Me Mine so Dan & I decided to go there yesterday afternoon. I was very excited, of course. I'm sure Dan wasn't too thrilled but he didn't let it show. The idea is to choose which piece you want to paint/decorate & then they give you all the tools you need to do so; after you have finished your "masterpiece", you leave it at the shop & they glaze it & fire it & then they call you when its ready to be picked up. Instead of decorating our own pieces, Dan & I decided to paint a tray/platter to use in the kitchen because we actually don't have one. Here is what the ceramics look like before you start painting:
Instead of diving right in & painting whatever we wanted Dan & I decided to look through the design books they had there for tips & ideas. We chose a specifc design that of course looked good in the book but the two of us copying it exactly was questionable. For the first time during a project like this, I was very laid back & didn't really care how it turned out (I was just excited to be doing it with Dan) & that is very weird for me; Dan took on the role of being anal & wanting it to be perfect & exactly like the book - it was funny to see him like that because he's usually the laid back one & tries to get me to calm down & relax. So we took turns painting & here is a pic of our tray partially done:
As the painting process continued Dan & I reached that self-conscious phase because we realized that our tray was not looking very attractive unlike some of the other pieces that customers were painting. I could not stop laughing & Dan was getting so mad that our tray was not turning out like the one in the book. He was also upset that we spent $24.00 on a tray that looked perfectly fine being plain white & then we made it look hideous with our color combinations & amateur painting skills. Dan even commented "people keep looking over here, I think they think our tray is ugly". I think they were looking at us because I couldn't stop laughing; I had a lot of fun. Here is our finished project which will be glazed & fired within a week: After our hilarious attempt at painting, Dan & I drove home to get ready for dinner & of course we took a Valentine's Day photo before we left to go eat (we did not color coordinate, I swear): As the timer on the camera was getting ready to go off, Dan said on the second picture lets kiss & I said OK. After the first photo was taken Dan said, "kiss!" & then I was literally mauled! I could not stop laughing. After my mauled comment to Dan he said, "you know you could maul me too". :o)
We had a great dinner at Clyde's in Ashburn & we ate so much food that we should have been wheeled out to our car. We had a wonderful day together & I couldn't have asked for a better Valentine's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails